If you are using a screen reader and are having problems using this website, please call 908-288-7240 for assistance.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1½ teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2½ cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed, chopped
- 1 medium Golden Delicious or other sweet-tart cooking apple, unpeeled, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably Hungarian sweet
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Savoy, or green cabbage
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, caraway seeds and thyme and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it is mostly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in pepper-onion mix and apple; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, honey and paprika and adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Stir in cabbage and cook just until barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with vinegar to taste, salt and pepper.